Thursday, September 11, 2008

The Little Things Make The Biggest Difference

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about how my marriage isn't as "happy" as I know it could be. The thing is immediately after that thought comes "why isn't my husband more romantic, or why doesn't he try harder?" It's so much easier to blame him than to step back and look at what I can do to show my love for him. When we first got married I got up with him early every morning because I wanted to spend time with him. I made him a lunch and wrote a little note on his napkin every day. When he got a job that didn't allow him to be home for dinner, I would make dinner, bring a blanket and we'd eat dinner together on the lawn outside of his workplace during his break almost every night. I can't think of much that I do now that takes that extra bit of effort to show my love and appreciation for my husband. I just sit around wondering why he doesn't do those kinds of things for me very often anymore. If I spent less time being sad about that, and more time doing sweet things for him, I know without a doubt that he would notice it and in turn do the same for me. How can he fill up my cup, when his has only a few drops in it? Starting today, I'm going to do something every day, whether big or small, to show my wonderful husband how much I adore him. Women love to be adored, and even though they don't always admit it, men need it just as much. I think by focusing on what I can do, it will leave less time to think about what he doesn't do for me. I love him more than I can ever express on this blog, I just don't show it as often as I should. Tell me, what do you do to make your other half feel special? I'll keep everyone posted on some things I do and the difference it makes. Now I'm going to get off the computer and adore my hubby!

3 comments:

Kelly Moore said...

I relate.
Marriage is hard work, it's the most fufilling hardwork along with parenting, but it's HARD work. If it always went effortlessly wouldn't appreciate it as much. Even the best and happiest couples have to work on it. :) You inspire me!!

Sarah said...

I was thinking about this...and honestly, we don't do anything that I think is really out of the ordinary or spectacular...just simple. We just say I love you at every coming or going, and we kiss after every prayer. I guess that sounds cheesy, but that's how we do it. (We kiss the boys after every prayer too). We're not what I would call all mushy or anything, we just express our love any chance we can. We communicate a lot and try not to expect anything without telling the other first. Like with gifts, we never know what to get each other, so we ask. No surprises really, but every once in a while we surprise each other, and then it is REALLY special because it isn't common. And for the record, he's never bought me flowers...and I am ok with that (flowers die...I'd rather have an actual plant)

Sarah said...

P.S. You're an unofficial winner too! So send me your mailing address ASAP!

Post a Comment