Thursday, May 6, 2010

Conclusion..The House Saga

After all was said and done, we decided to forgo buying the home.

The final decision was made about 2 weeks ago. At the time we had 2 solid reasons to say no. Since then, I have discovered a handful of more reasons that our decision was the right one.

Hindsight really is 20/20. Especially right now.

The night before we had to make our final decision, David and I did the math. We included living expenses as well as "house expenses" (all the fixing and TLC the house needs). It just was not looking so great. The down payment was high and the numbers weren't where we wanted them to be. So, we said no and I almost waited for that "oh we should have just done it" feeling. It never came.

In fact, I couldn't be more thankful to be where I am right now.

During these past few months, David's job has not been as stable as we'd like it to be. It would not be wise to take out a loan for a house, without the reassurance that we will be able to make the payments on it, right?

There are many more reasons which are in the works as we speak. Without spilling our financial guts out on this blog, lets just say, if we would have purchased that house, we would be in a very sticky situation right now. But, even just a few weeks ago we would not have known that.

So, the new plan?

Find a place to rent, and move out sometime this summer. Pay other things off and buy a house in a year or so. Oh boy does that plan feel wonderful. I am so at peace :)

One more wonderful thing that came from all of this...

David and I have had in the back of our minds the fact that we need a car with room for 2 car seats by September. Quite frankly, I just thought we'd have to get really squishy in our current car and make it work somehow, because I couldn't see any way that we could afford to get a decent, inexpensive car right now (or anytime soon for that matter) without taking out a loan. That's the last thing we need right now. I HATE dealerships and buying cars. There's just too many unknowns and its just more debt!

Well, I'm very happy to say that the money we put aside for the down payment will now be used to purchase a vehicle fit for a family of 4! What a blessing. We would not have had that money set aside had it not been for the house. Heavenly Father is really carrying David and I through this tough financial time in our lives and it really shows. I am so grateful that I can look back and really see that. The whole house situation was very stressful and many tears were shed over making the right decision. How wonderful it is to look back and see that it was all for a reason. Each time David and I are faced with a life changing decision we turn it over to the Lord and it not only brings us closer to Him, but it also brings us closer to each other.

And so the next chapter isn't all that certain, but I know that we'll have a car, a place to live, a family of 4, and the rest will all fall into place as it always does.



1 comments:

Pamela Brown said...

I am sorry that things didn't work out with the house, but what a blessing to be able to get a car with room for your family. The Lord has his own way of doing things and it always turns out better and for our benefit. Thanks for sharing your story, you and David are so strong and have so much faith, you guys are awesome examples :)

Happy Mothers Day!!!!

Post a Comment